Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chicken Pita with Tzatziki and Greek Lemon Potatoes

So today was one of those days where no matter what you do there just isn't enough time in the day. As I was rushing to get dressed and get out the door I realized that I had not prepared anything for dinner....oops! As you can imagine, my husband has gotten quite spoiled with his fancy dinners every night. I had to throw something together quick and decided a little Greek food was the way to go....This is perfect because I could prepare it quickly before I left and leave it to marinate and get all tasty in the refrigerator until I was ready to cook it, and wow did I ever pick the right day to make sure it was prepared before I left! Thanks to a fender bender down the street of my house I was stuck in some lovely traffic for over an hour. By the time I made it home it was 7:00 and we were both starving so I just pulled everything out of the refrigerator and stuck my potatoes in the oven, heated up my grill and I was ready to go! And of course, because my day was going so well up until this point, I  unfortunately got a very untimely phone call, which of course made it so that I couldn't take any pictures. I tried to wait the guy out, really, I did, but he was a talker and I was hungry - So I hope you enjoy the stock photos that I pulled from random places on the internet. Really, I know, bad blogger!

For the Chicken:

1 lb boneless skinless split chicken breasts
1 vidalia or red onion sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS dried (or fresh) dill
Salt and Pepper to taste

Throw all ingredients (except for the chicken, of course) into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour over chicken and marinate for 2-3 hours, to overnight, in the refrigerator. When you're ready to cook, throw the chicken on the grill and cook until juices run clear.

For the Tzatziki sauce:

1 6oz cup of plain fat free yogurt (Can use regular or Greek, but I prefer regular)
1 cucumbers peeled, seeded and sliced
1 TBS Lemon Zest
1 TBS Lemon Juice
1 clove garlic crushed or grated
1 TBS Dill (dry or fresh)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put the cucumber into the food processor, sprinkle a little salt on top and blend until smooth, or slightly chunky - whichever your preferences is. Once processed put into a coffee filter lined colander and allow to drain for a few minutes. Don't be afraid to give it a little squeeze now and then to help it drain faster. Really, it's okay, I do it all the time (I'm impatient). Once you've gotten your cucumber sufficiently drained throw it into a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well blended. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

For the potatoes:

1-2 lbs Potatoes, cut into wedges
1 lemon zested and juiced
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 Cloves garlic crushed or grated
2 TBS Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Preheat oven to Roast 400. Combine all ingredients in a shallow glass or coated pan, toss until evenly coated. Put in the oven and cook on until potatoes are tender and golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.

The Potatoes, Tzatziki sauce and the Chicken can be prepared ahead to make this dinner super quick to put together.

For the Pita Sandwich:

4 Pita or Round Flatbreads (I prefer the Toufuyan Flatbreads)
1/2 Onion, Sliced
1 Tomato, Diced
1 Container Crumbled Feta cheese - As much as you like!
1 Cup Lettuce or Spinach
4 pieces of tin foil big enough to wrap sandwich in

Throw the flatbreads/pitas onto the grill when your chicken is 1-2 minutes from being done. Lay the flatbread onto your tin foil square, top it with your Chicken, Feta cheese, onion, tomato, lettuce and Tzatziki sauce. Fold it up like a taco and wrap in the tin foil to keep it all together (You could skip this step, but it makes it SO much easier to eat). I hope you Enjoy it as much as my husband did. He scarfed his entire meal down before I got off the untimely phone call!


Variations: Try adding some chopped Kalamata olives, fresh slices of cucumber, or whatever other veggies you like to the sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment